A Jolly Rogers Tale: Skull & Shackles
Many of the following rules are common sense, and may be enforced on pirate, military, and merchant vessels.
• Any sailor caught below deck with open flame, magical or mundane, will suffer 10 lashes. All candles and lanterns are to be extinguished at sunset.
• No sailor is to play cards or dice for money while onboard, nor use such things to take advantage of her crewmates on shore.
• No sailor is to bring aboard a husband, wife, child, person of ill virtue, or any passenger unbeknownst to the captain. Both sailor and passenger face marooning.
• Every sailor must do her fair share of work, and neither shirk her duty nor pass off work to another, lest she face 20 lashes. A ship’s bard may rest 1 day per week, but must stand ready to entertain on all others.
• Every sailor receives an equal share of food and drink, and 1 ration of liquor every day.
• Any sailor found drunk on duty shall face 10 lashes. Any sailor too drunk to function effectively during battle shall be killed.
• A sailor who suspects a hazard, be it storm cloud, sea monster, or enemy ship, must raise the alarm immediately. Any sailor who sees an unfamiliar sea creature must inform the captain immediately.
• A sailor shall not speak to any creature of the sea without the captain’s permission.
• A sailor must not speak ill of the dead lest they summon restless spirits to the ship.